December 20, 2012

Time Out

So, we’ve come to the end of the calendar year. If you’re like me, you’ll be tired and really looking forward to a break away from work. Christmas is a great opportunity to catch up with family and friends, but this can itself make for a busy (fraught?) few days. I started the negotiations with my parents, siblings and in-laws back in August as to who was going where, when and for how long over the seasonal period. The latest position is that my parents will be coming over on Christmas Day at either 5.30pm or 6.00pm – agreement has yet to be reached (and we think trade union negotiations are tough, I trust there’s an ACAS Christmas helpline?)

What I am certain about is that I will make the time to properly reflect upon the year just ending and consider the year to come. At the departmental Christmas meal and HR Exchange I shared with you some of our highlights, so I won’t repeat these here. I do however want to say how pleased and proud I am of the whole team. You’ve worked hard and achieved much, so thank you all.

As for next year, then I’ll be making a list of things to achieve in 2013; New Year’s Resolutions if you like. I have a few days left to finalise these, but I thought I would share with you my draft goals (in no particular order):


1. To buy a house (we’ve sold the family home quicker than envisaged, so I really need to crack on before the family becomes homeless, so no pressure then).
2. To launch and enact our new HR Strategy.
3. To attend fewer meetings than I did in 2012.
4. To send fewer emails than I did in 2012.
5. To run the Windermere Marathon quicker than I did in 2012.
6. To successfully deliver upon all my SRDS objectives (I have to say this really).
7. To complete at least two Olympic distance Triathlons (better buy a bike then).
8. To evidence that the University is a remarkable place to work.
9. To achieve a positive work/life balance (this is a standing item).
10. To challenge, to be challenged and to have fun.

A busy 2013 is on the cards then. In the meantime, I really hope you enjoy your time out and manage to relax and refresh. You may also want to prepare your own list of goals for 2013, and perhaps even share them with the team!?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment